A Mother's Day Gift That Lives On
Mothers, grandmothers, or the mother-like figures in your life—you might think you know them, but how well do you really know them? They lived an entire life before you even stepped foot on this planet. There's so much you can learn and discover just by listening to their past experiences. Take some time this year to really focus on those you love and get to know them on a deeper level by making your own From You To Me Question Book! Not only will you know more about the ones you love most, but you'll also have a memory of them you can hold onto forever.
Here's the gist: you design the book, but they are the author. You may be gifting this to them, but the real gift is when they fill it out and give it back to you!
Here are some ideas for inspiration, along with a list of questions you could incorporate into your own journal!
"This is a journal from you to me. I carefully created the designs and questions on each page, but you are the author. There's no time limit and no right or wrong answers. As you have time, fill out your answers on the pages. This is a story about you.
The purpose of this journal is to help me get to know you more. This is your life condensed between two covers. When the journal is filled, give it back to me. It will serve as a little piece of you that I can hold onto forever."
QUESTIONS TO ASK
- What is your full name?
- How old are you right now?
- When were you born?
- Where were you born?
- What is your mom's full name?
- What is your dad's full name?
- Any siblings?
- What do you remember most about your mom?
- What do you remember most about your dad?
- What did your parents do for a living?
- What do you remember most about your grandparents?
- Tell me about a special memory you have with your siblings.
- Did you have a childhood best friend? Tell me about her/him.
- Are you still in touch with them?
- Where did you grow up?
- Did you have any nicknames?
- What was your favorite toy as a kid? What games did you play?
- What kind of books did you like to read? Did you have a favorite?
- What was your favorite class?
- What did you wear to school?
- Were you in any sports or clubs?
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
Jobs and Adulthood:
- What was your first job? How much did you make?
- What was your favorite job?
- How did you decide on a career?
- What was your first car?
- What were you doing when you were my age?
- What was a typical day for you like as a young adult?
- Do you have a favorite decade?
- How many times have you been in love?
- How did you meet [insert significant other here]?
- What was your first date?
- What was your proposal like?
- Where did you get married? What day?
- Did you have a honeymoon? Where did you go?
- How did you know he/she was the one?
- What's the best advice you have about marriage?
- What has love taught you?
- How many kids did you have?
- How did you decide what to name them?
- What was the most rewarding thing about being a parent?
- Write down as much of your family tree as you can remember.
- What do you think are the greatest inventions of your lifetime?
- What is the hardest lesson you had to learn in life?
- Tell me about someone who had a major impact on your life.
- What's something you're most proud of?
- What is your favorite place you've traveled to?
- What's one of your most favorite memories with me?
- Do you have any regrets?
- What are your hobbies?
- What is the wildest thing you've ever done?
- What is your biggest fear? Have you ever overcome it?
- What is your favorite season?
- What is your favorite food?
- What is your favorite singer/band?
- What is your favorite flower?
- What is your favorite color?
- What is your favorite movie?
- What is your favorite verse or quote?
- What is your favorite book?
- What is your favorite restaurant?
- Is there anything you've always wanted to do but haven't?
- What things remind you of home? Foods, smells, etc.
- What do you want to be most remembered for?
- What is your most treasured memory?
- Use this page to write down any advice, lesson, story, or words you'd like to leave me with.
Want to see a 30-second flip through of our journal for ideas? Click here!
If you want some guidelines on how to draw banners or tips on hand lettering numbers and letters to make the pages in your journal really shine, check out these free printables from lettering artist Nicole Miyuki!