Our "Punny Valentines" trend started with four quick and easy watercolor projects designed by our watercolor artist, Sarah Cray, back in 2019. The response to these cute and witty cards was so good that we decided to make this a yearly tradition with all-new puns and designs! Check out these very punny Valentine's Day cards created by Taylor Lydic, or click here to see the ones that started it all.
1. Start by sketching your outline. You'll just need two imperfect circles that slightly overlap.
2. Using green, yellow, pink, and orange, paint in the center with small rectangular and triangular shapes.
3. Add water to your blue paint to make it a light value. Paint random curved lines and marks to indicate rice.
4. Outline both pieces of sushi using black, making it thicker at the top and skinnier along the edges and bottom. Done!
Alternate pun ideas:
- I'm soy happy to call you mine
- You maki miso happy
- You're my soy-mate
1. Paint long, leaf-like shapes using green for the aloe "petals".
2. Using a darker value of green, paint in the right half of each petal.
- Aloe, is it me you're looking for
- You had me at aloe
- Aloe-ways love you
1. Draw an upside down "U" shape for the head. Leave room for the forehead, then draw the unibrow. Down where the chin would be, draw the lips.
2. Paint in flowers and leaves in a crown-like shape at the top of the head.
3. Using black, paint in the hair that's showing under the flowers and the unibrow.
4. Paint the lips red and use gray to outline the earrings. Done!
- We belong together like Frida's eyebrows
- We are one
- I'm a-frida losing you
Try a different style with our Frida Khalo Art Journaling outline!
1. Paint a long, imperfect rectangle for the crust using yellow and a hint of magenta along the edge. Leave a white glare for the highlight.
2. Add on a triangle shape using only water. Then, use the wet-on-wet technique using shades of yellow, red, and magenta.
3. Once dry, use red to add in circles for pepperoni. Use different values to give the pepperoni pieces dimension.
4. Add highlights using Bleed Proof White or a white Gelly Roll. Get creative and change up your toppings! Done!
- You're my home slice
- I love you to pizzas
- Unlike this pizza, you can't be topped
Want more punny valentines?
Click below to see our first ones!
Kiddos, we didn't forget about you! Click here to view our Valentine's Day craft for kids taught by Nicole Miyuki.